Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Made it to Disneyland yesterday. First time in fifteen and a half years. If I had known how long it would be before I made it back I think I would have been terribly, terribly depressed. Last time I went was with Jimmy and John and Hatch and a few others and I was twenty and on the cusp of putting my mission papers in.
We had a bit of a late start, getting everything settled at home and got there shortly around noon. I did gawk a bit at the entrance of Disney’s California Adventure…I mean…the last time I was there that was the PARKING LOT.
It turned out to be a near perfect day to go. It wasn’t too hot…as it was a Thursday the crowds weren’t too bad and the place just sparkled to me. The first ride we went on was Mr. Toad’s Wild Adventure which was fun. The whole thing looked like a big animation layout to me (DUH!) I mentioned to Lisa that the last time I went Mr. Toad’s was the first ride we went on…and it broke while we were inside. They had to turn the lights on and walked us back out. Welcome to Disneyland!
Perhaps I shouldn’t have mentioned that since we seemed to be plagued with rides breaking down on us the whole rest of the day!
We went to Toon Town which was fun. While waiting in line we talked to an engineer (can’t remember what kind off the top of my head) who was monitoring the line for the Roger Rabbit ride. She’d just graduated from school and had worked at Disneyland for about a month and loved it. I thought how fun that must be for her…do all that hard work…get through school…and then you get to go to Disneyland every day. Nice work if you can get it.
After Toon Town we decided we’d go to Frontierland and get Fast Passes for Big Thunder Mountain…eat lunch and then ride the ride. However…when we got there the ride was broken down! Okay, we thought…we’d go get passes for the Indiana Jones ride…except it was shut down too! Then we thought about maybe Pirates…and IT was closed! Sheesh!!! A little later in the day we were waiting in line for Splash Mountain and IT shut down due to technical difficulties! ARGH! So much for vaunted Disney efficiency. Heck…all the times I’ve been to Lagoon I’d never suffered so many broken rides!
The ride for Indy was fixed by the time we finished lunch (at some Zorro type cafe) but the line was hours long so we forwent that one for Pirates of the Caribbean which was great. I wondered what people thought who went on the rides in 1955 thought. Things must’ve just blown their minds seeing the animatronics. Same for Haunted Mansion which we went on next. I adored the stretchy room with the creepy paintings that took us down to the loading area. I loved the dancing holograms in the ballroom and noted the dueling paintings.
I’ve heard before that people go to amusement parks like 6 Flags for the rides. You go to Disneyland for the experience. I think this is true. It’s amazing how fun and appealing they made every little nook and cranny of the park. I wound up being impressed with nearly everything. I liked the Jungle Boat River tour (though I thought I would have had much better delivery than our current guide with the joke cracking.) I really *really* liked Big Thunder once they got it going. THAT was a blast.
We went over to Tomorrowland and saw the new Buzz Lightyear ride. There wasn’t much of a line so we shrugged at each other and went on it. Holy COW fun! You have little laser blaster guns you can pull out of the front of the cart and along the ride are targets that light up. You try to shoot the targets as you go and your cart keeps score for you and the other person in your cart. Lisa absolutely KILLED me. I think something was up with my blaster but holy cow fun!
The new Finding Nemo submarine boat ride had a stupid long line so Lisa and I went on the Matterhorn (fun!) and Lisa’s parents camped out to see the Fantasyland parade. Lisa and I went to go ride Space Mountain (which … had been closed earlier but had reopened.) I had heard Space Mountain was a cool ride but as we were waiting in line I really wasn’t expecting much. It looked like the 70s version of what The Future should be. I was afraid while fun it was going to also feel mouldering and cheesy.
For those of you who have done Space Mountain, I repent of my dubiousness. It turned out to be my favorite ride in the whole park. I *loved* it. I couldn’t get over what an insanely brilliant idea it was. Make a roller coaster entirely in the dark except for lights representing stars and send you off on a space flight. It was exactly what it felt like. It was amazing.
We headed back over to Splash Mountain. I mentioned to Lisa that sometimes the most obscure movies have the funnest rides. I wondered how many people who were riding it that day had actually even SEEN Song of the South. The last time it was released in theaters I was in single digits. Still though, the ride was big fun. I loved seeing all the cartoon animatronics. It’s very cool to see something rendered from these really visually appealing storyboards ala Bill Peet…to full fledged animation and then to these real life moving renditions in front of you. THAT’S some great design work when they can be appealing all the way through.
After Splash mountain we headed over to try Indy again. On the way we stopped and watched a bit of Fantasmic…which was really cool from what I could see which wasn’t much. I saw a lot of a tree and the back of someone’s head. Still mad impressive though from what I could see. I wondered how much it was a show between the pyrotechnics, the lighting, the zillions of cast members taking part. I watched the animated sequences being shown, projected on a screen of mist and how those animators probably didn’t have a CLUE what the shelf life…or how those particular sequences were going to be used by the Disney company over and over and over again.
Off to Indy where the ride guesstimate was an hour long wait. This was the shortest we’d seen it all day so we hopped in line . It became apparent before too long though that Disney was wildly underestimating how long the wait would be. By this point it was *very* late in the day and all of us were starting to hurt. I couldn’t think the last time my feet hurt that bad and both Lisa and her parents were mentioning lower backs.
Now…the wait in line is actually pretty cool once you enter the “temple” portion. They did a lot trying to keep it visually interesting…but it’s still a pretty long wait. I had been mentally ready for an hour long wait. When we finally started the ride we’d been waiting an hour and 45 minutes.
The Indy ride IS very cool. It IS a lot of fun. There was a LOT of thought and planning that went into it. Visually it’s GREAT! The premise is you’re riding around in a big military style jeep careening through this cursed temple and it really feels like you’re in one. I thought riding around it it felt not unlike Norton. (My dad’s truck.) I thought about how Bryce would absolutely ADORE the ride being the Indy nut he is. I was glad I got to go on it. I don’t think I’m going to ever wait that long to ride it again though.
I think all of us were ready to call it quits by that point…it was now 11:20 and the park closed at midnight but Lisa really wanted to check out the new Nemo ride. It was the one thing she hadn’t been on yet so we crossed the park again to check out the line. Her parents plopped down on a bench near the castle and wearily waved us on.
It was only a half hour line for Nemo this time (much better than the 2 hours it had been earlier!) and it was really neat. They incorporated a lot of 3D animation into the ride, it was visually pretty good but I think we were both too tired to properly appreciate it. My hip socket siezed up a little bit upon exiting the submarine and I had to call Lisa back over to be my cane as we both hobbled back over to her parents. It was now 12:20 and I mentally deemed I a full and productive day at the Happiest Place on Earth.
We both promptly fell asleep in the back of the car as Lisa’s dad drove us home and I’m not sure I even remember getting into bed.

I hope it will not be another 15 years before I go to Disneyland again.


( 4 comments — Leave a comment )
Aug. 1st, 2008 10:20 pm (UTC)
Looking back last time I went to Disneyland was about 15yrs ago too. Maybe we ran into each other and didn't know it. I doubt it,but still cool! I remember hot and long lines. My cousin and I got bored and played tag while in line while my aunt kept our place. My first trip to California actually. I think we a saw Michael Jackson in 3D flick there. The line for Toon Town was 4hrs long, seriously. Never got in.

I am glad your trip was fun-filled! What great memories.

I have a friend who goes every year. She was or maybe still is an elementary music teacher.
Aug. 2nd, 2008 06:03 pm (UTC)
lil tip...you can check the official website for the park for a list of rides that are down. It makes it easier when planning trips!
Aug. 3rd, 2008 04:24 pm (UTC)
Except see...the rides broke down while we were THERE.
Aug. 3rd, 2008 05:27 pm (UTC)
well that's just lame
( 4 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

November 2012
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow