Episode One: A Waste of Special Effects
Episode Two: A laughable totally unbelievable romance.
The first trilogy is supposed to be a tragedy darn it! And George finally, FINALLY gets it. We don't care about Jar Jar...we don't care about Pod Racing...we don't care about all of your "ain't it cool" shots...tell us about the CHARACTERS.
And he finally DOES.
1. I have always been really curious to see how the twins were split up and George explains it but with one big ol' plot hole.
In Jedi as Luke and Leia are sitting outside on Endor, Luke asks her if she remembers her mother...her real mother. Leia responds that she remembers her a little...she was very beautiful and very sad. So...I wondered how on EARTH Vadar would connect Luke to him as his son (great way to HIDE him...put him with his OWN FAMILY and keep the name SKYWALKER...) and yet has NO knowledge of the girl Padme has with her for a while before she dies? WHAT?
I guess even George wasn't sure how to explain that and so has Padme die as Lord Vadar is truly being born. Unless anyone would like to try to explain that.
2. I first thought the Emperor deliberately lied to Vadar telling him that in his rage he had killed his own wife. This completely removes anyone who might make Vadar act with his own autonomy but I was startled mostly because we have never heard anyone from The Dark Side tell a complete deliberate falsehood. (That's the Jedi actually.)
I think the Emperor thought that Vadar DID kill Padme. After all, Anakin remembers strangling her and have her fall to the landing pad right before he and Obi Wan get it on...and also at her funeral she did still look pregnant.
3. Was anyone else annoyed at the unclear timeline? She wasn't showing when she tells Anakin she is pregnant...and yet by the end (and she's really still not showing a whole lot) she gives birth to some really FAT twins. (And what the heck was with the whole weird birthing droids?)
4. Speaking of being annoyed, this has to be Natalie Portman's worst performance to date...but I blame Lucas. Padme is supposed to be the smart one, the cunning one, the one able to make and carry out plans. She was freakin' QUEEN of Naboo for Pete's sake! Where is this simpering "Oh Ani...hold me like you did that day at the Lagoon" wuss coming from?
5. And so...they don't know Anakin is MARRIED? Do they think he is just shacking up with her then? Because, um, wouldn't Obi Wan know where Anakin LIVES then? Because WEIRD.
6. Anyone else think that the more you learn about "Old School Jedi" (pre Anakin)...that some of the Emperor's points were pretty dead on about them? It was their dogmatic rules that alienated Anakin and made him easier to sway. Nobody saw he was in turmoil and pulled him aside to find out what was going on. Instead he is told that to value people and love people turns them to the dark side? What the heck? I'd rather be a Sith too than be told I shouldn't care about my loved ones!
7. Do you think Vadar ever found out how much he had been played by the Emperor? For all he knew when he saw Obi Wan again in Episode 4, the Jedi really HAD hatched a plot to depose of the Chancellor and take over the Senate.
8. They were already building the Death Star? So...it was finally operational 18 years later? Did they have the second one going at the same time or did they put it together during Empire?
9. The scene where Obi-Wan screams at Anakin, "You were the CHOSEN ONE!!!" and watches him catch fire and still just walks away...he doesnt' kill him...he doesnt' rescue him...ouch.
10. The scene were Anakin is nearly all suited up and looks up to see the mask descending...that look in his eyes...fear, horror, sadness and just a hint of `oh $hit'...okay, that got me. I totally started crying right there.